Organisation and People
The PREM Programme runs under the flag of the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM) of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. It is funded by the Directorate General for International Cooperation (DGIS) of the Dutch ministry of foreign affairs. Day-to-day administration of the programme will be the responsibility of the IVM. The most important elements of the PREM programme organisation include:
Donors and Funding
The overall programme structure is shown below.
Overall programme direction will be the responsibility of the Steering Committee. The committee meets on an yearly basis and reports annually to the programme sponsors. Its members are:
· Professor Harmen Verbruggen (chair): Dean of the Faculty of Economics at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Professor of International Environmental Economics.
· Dr. Hans Wessels
· Professor Syed Mansoob Murshed from Bangladesh who is currently Associate Professor of Development Economics, Institute of Social Studies (ISS), The Hague Netherlands.
· Professor Rashid Hassan from South Africa. Currently Professor and Director of the Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy in Africa (CEEPA) at the Department of Agricultural Economics of the University of Pretoria.
· Dr. Pieter van Beukering (Secretary) who is the Programme Director of PREM at the Institute for Environmental Studies, of the Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam.
The specific tasks of the Steering Committee will be to:
· Decide on programme priorities;
· Review pre-proposals and determine which should be funded for proposal development;
· Assess project proposals and decide which should be approved for funding;
· Ensure overall quality control of the programme.
Pieter van Beukering, the programme director of PREM, is responsible for the daily management of the programme.
Specific tasks include the following:
· Oversee the portfolio of projects that correspond to each institution and monitoring output and expenditure
· Identify appropriate counterpart staff from IVM and other Northern institutes
· Participate in the regional cluster meetings
· Oversee collaboration with cluster members on the revision of pre-proposals, proposal development and project execution
· Liaise with other potential collaborating Southern and Northern researchers and institutions
· Report to the Steering Committee on behalf of their respective institutes;
· Carry out programme activities other than individual research projects e.g. organisation of workshops, programme promotion and expansion, etc.
· Preparing annual reports submitted by the Steering Committee to the programme sponsors
· Liaison with the peer review group
· Administrative and secretarial support to the Steering Committee.