On this page you will find information regarding the project you selected. A summary of the project proposal can be found in the publications section at the bottom of the page.
|Title:||Poverty Reduction and Climate Change Policies in South Africa|
|Theme(s)||Water, Policy and Trade|
This proposal explores ways of reducing poverty in South Africa while implementing policies that address water quantity and quality and climate change problems. Four key development agencies, after wide consultation, concluded that addressing environmental issues that matter to the poor is critical to sustained poverty reduction and achieving the Millennium Development Goals.1 They further recognised that policy options exist to reduce poverty and improve the environment, but more integrated and pro-poor approaches are needed. Intelligent development of strategies within the poverty environment sphere involves comparison of all available instruments, new as well as old, with respect to their effectiveness in yielding these desired outcomes. Four interrelated themes which all explore ways of increasing the potential of environmental resources management to contribute to poverty alleviation in South Africa are selected for closer scrutiny. The bottom-up and top-down approaches to modelling are combined in a single model used to assess the quantitative significance of various hypotheses we have on the four issues. By doing so, we hope to contribute novel elements to the literature in this field. More importantly, it is envisaged that such policy relevant scientific analysis will have large impacts achieved through being passed onto policy makers engaged in poverty alleviation and environmental managementThis project is conducted in partnership with:
Publications for this project
- Journal Article: Integrated water and economic modelling of the impacts of water market instruments on the South African economy. In: Ecological economics. In press.
- Journal Article: Triple dividends of water consumption charges in South Africa. In: Water Resources Research, 43:W05412
- Journal Article: Constructing a Greenhouse gas emissions inventory using energy balances: The case of South Africa: 1998. In: Journal of energy in southern Africa. 16(3):105-116.
- Journal Article: Redistributing environmental tax revenue to reduce poverty in South Africa: the cases of energy and water. In: . South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences 9(4):537-55
- Journal Article: Fighting CO2 and poverty while promoting growth: Searching for triple dividends in South Africa? in: The Energy Journal, 27(2):113-141.
- Policy Brief 05 - Fighting CO2 Pollution and Poverty while promoting Growth: Searching for Triple Dividends in South Africa
- Policy Brief 04 - Double Dividends of Additional Water Consumption Charges in South Africa
- PREM Working Paper 05-02 - Fighting CO2 pollution and poverty while promoting growth: searching for triple dividends in South Africa
- PREM Working Paper 05-01 - Double dividends of additional water consumption charges in South Africa
- PREM Working Paper 05-03 - Constructing a greenhouse gas emissions database using energy balances: the case of South Africa 1998
- Summary Project #3: South Africa